When life feels like it’s suffocating you, and anxious thoughts are piling higher and higher, it seems like a difficult task to feel normal again. If your thoughts are fuzzy, decision-making suddenly feels difficult, and you can’t remember the last time you felt your feet on the ground, purposeful breathing is your ultimate remedy. When paired with other mindfulness exercises, this quick and easy technique will help you create a stress-free life.
1 Minute Mindfulness Exercise: Mindful Breathing (1 minute +)
- Stop what you are doing, sit back, and relax. Give yourself permission to do be mindful and stress-free.
- Take a big, deep breath.
- Notice the cool sensation in your nose as you inhale.
- Notice how big and full your torso is.
- As you exhale, feel the warmth in your nose.
- Do this for one, full minute or more. You are feeling and noticing the sensations that are truly happening, in this moment.
- If your mind begins to wander, tell your thoughts, “Not now. I’m breathing,” “Come back later. I’m breathing,” or simply mentally say “Inhale. Exhale.”
- When you’re finished, notice how relieved you feel. Congratulate yourself on a minute of being totally present. You were not in the past. You were not in the future. You were present. When you are in the present moment, you realize that there is no stress.
Want more mindfulness practices? Check out 5 Mindfulness Exercises for Stress Management!
Copyright 2015 Jennifer “Aurora Moone” McDonald / All Rights Reserved.