Mala beads are a string of beads traditionally used in prayer and meditation. Often made from gemstones that resonate with the user, these meditation aids more than just an accessory – they’re a spiritual tool.
Tracing back over thousands of years, Mala beads have their roots in Hinduism and Buddhism. Historically, they were used to keep count of mantras during meditation. This ancient practice has now spread globally, transcending religious boundaries.
Each Mala typically comprises 108 beads, representing the universe’s 108 energy lines. The “guru” bead, larger than the others, symbolizes the student-guru relationship. Materials can vary, but genuine gemstones, wood, and seeds are popular choices.
Based on materials and purposes, Mala beads can be categorized as:
- Gemstone Malas: Made from stones like amethyst, rose quartz, and turquoise, believed to offer specific energy or healing properties.
- Wooden Malas: Often crafted from sandalwood or rosewood, providing a natural, grounding sensation.
- Seed Malas: Created from seeds like Rudraksha or lotus, connecting the user with nature’s essence.
How Mala Beads Work
Using Mala beads involves moving from one bead to the next with each chant or breath, facilitating focus during meditation. The tactile nature of the beads serves as a grounding element, enhancing mindfulness.
- Spiritual Meaning: Opens third eye, increase meditation, psychic ability 👁
- How To Use: Choose a mantra, repeat the mantra, use beads to count repetitions. 📿
- Size: 108 beads. 5.5mm in diameter. 36" long 📏
- Also known as yoga necklaces, prayer beads, or hindu rosary 📿
- Perfect for maintaining focus during meditation 🙏🏽
- Contains the traditional 108 beads 🤩
What are Mala beads made of?
Typically Mala beads are made of gemstones, wood, or seeds.
Why 108 beads?
Mala beads have 108 beads to help you repeat your mantra or chant over 100 times without losing concentration; according to Buddhists, 108 successful repetitions helps you reach Nirvana.
How do I choose the right Mala for me?
Consider your intentions and then choose the materials that match your goals' energy properties.
How to care for Mala beads?
Keep them clean, avoid harsh chemicals, and occasionally set intentions with them.
Can Mala beads be repaired if broken?
Yes, you can simply restring them.
How do Mala beads help in meditation?
They enhance focus and provide a tactile method of tracking mantras.
Do the colors of the beads signify anything?
Often, different colors or gemstones have distinct energy or healing properties.