Zesty, firey, and powerful is exactly how we like our homemade health tonics! That’s how you know it’s working! Joking aside, fire cider is packed with antibacterial properties, immune-boosting herbs, and natural remedies against flu and colds. This folk remedy is a delicious brew turned modern medicine alternative. That’s why it’s our number one elixir during the winter months. At PlentifulEarth, use it in addition to modern medicine to ensure good health during flu season!
What is Fire Cider?
Fire cider is a honey and apple cider vinegar based tonic that contains all-natural, illness-fighting ingredients. As a form of oxymel, fire cider contains both honeyed and acidic qualities whose effectiveness dates back to the Renaissance period. Believed to be coined by Rosemary Gladstar, fire cider itself contains herbs and spices that work together to improve blood circulation,
A favorite cold remedy of herbalists worldwide, fire cider is surprisingly easy to make! Why? Because once you prep the ingredients, all you have to do is wait! The best part? Most of the ingredients are already in your cupboard!
What herbs go into this natural cold remedy?
Because this is a folk remedy, everyone’s recipes are a little different. Our recipe includes herbs and spices that help prevent and help treat cold and flu. This fire cider recipe includes:
- Ginger Root: Ginger contains gingerol, an anti-bacterial compound that promotes body warmth, helping to fight off cold symptoms.
- Horseradish Root: Horseradish is a natural expectorant with natural antibacterial properties. It helps in easing throat and upper respiratory tract infections. Not only that, but glucosinolates found in this root has been shown to fight cancer.
- Onion: Another cancer fighter, onion’s compound quercetin is a natural disease fighter.
- Garlic: Garlic boosts the functionality of your immune system, in addition to being a known reducer of the common cold.
- Jalapeno Peppers: These peppers are natural pain relievers and infection fighters.
- Lemon: The vitamin C found in the juice and peel are extremely effective against bacterial infections! By boosting your immune system, lemons act as a great empowerer in this cider recipe.
- Rosemary Sprigs: This savory, piney plant alleviates muscle pain and relieves cough while you’re sick. It reduces stress, which helps boost the immune system!
- Turmeric: Turmeric increases the antioxidant capacity in your body. This means that all of the new antioxidants in this cider will have a home to live and work in!
- Cayenne Pepper: When taken after you’re sick, cayenne pepper helps reduce pain, inflammation, and congestion. When used for prevention, the vitamin A in this spice helps boost your immune system.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This vinegar kills multiple types of bacteria. When used in conjunction with the other herbs of this recipe, it becomes a powerhouse of health.
- Local Raw Honey: Before becoming sick, local, raw honey helps your body fight off local infections and allergens. After becoming ill, it suppresses coughs and continues fighting off bacteria.